- We require the General GRE test for full consideration. This score must be less than 3 years old for the date of admission you are requesting. (University Code: 1843)
- Chemistry subject test is optional but recommended
- TOEFL or iBT is required for International students (we accept IELTS, but it is not preferred). This score must be less than 2 years old for the date of admission you are requesting. (University Code: 1843)
- 3 Letters of Recommendations
- Official Transcript(s) from All Universities Attended
- Resume or Curriculum Vita
- Personal Statement or Statement of Purpose
- Must meet the general requirements for admission to the Graduate School at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. These are the base requirements for admission into the UT graduate program. Though generally, requirements for applicants to the Department of Chemistry are more competitive.
For more information:
- Office of Graduate and International Admissions
- Center for International Education
- Applying to the Graduate School at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Submitting Transcripts
- The department accepts applications on a rolling admissions basis until the incoming class is full.
- Early applicants will be considered for fellowships and scholarships.
- While all of the above apply to international applicants, you do have a firm deadline of February 1st.
We encourage each student, international or domestic to begin applying as soon as the application is open, time may vary between September-November. Apply as early as possible to be considered for fellowships and scholarships. The review process will begin in November for Fall semester entry. Decisions on applications are typically made by April 15th for Fall semester entry.
You will need to have all the requested application items in *.pdf format ready for uploading when you start your application. If you are unable to complete your application in one sitting, you may save the application and return to it later. However, once you click on submit and pay the application fee, you won’t be able to upload additional materials.
- The application fee for new applicants is $60
- The application fee for readmission is $30 (including change of program)
- The Chemistry Department offers application fee waiver to qualified domestic applicants.
- There is no longer an option to mail in application materials. All documents must be uploaded into the online application system as requested. If you are having trouble uploading any documents, please email our recruiting coordinator Kayla Benson. For questions regarding your application after you have submitted it please contact our graduate program assistant Jennifer Fleming.
- Please request ETS to send your GRE and iBT/TOEFL scores electronically using the 1843 university code.
- The Department will not defer admissions from one semester to another.
- You must be accepted by both the Graduate Admissions Office and the Chemistry Department. Where you find two different requirements, you will be expected to meet the higher requirement.
International students must submit iBT/TOEFL scores for your Chemistry Departmental Application. English speaking ability is judged from iBT. The Chemistry Department prefers you to have a minimum total of 98 with a sub-speak score of 22.
Note: All applicants both domestic and international are in competition for the same positions. There are no specific number of international students the department will admit each year.