Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue


The following are answers to commonly asked questions. Please click on the question to view the answer. If this FAQ page does not answer your specific question please contact Graduate Programs Assistant.

I am interested in UT Chemistry – How do I apply for the Graduate Program?

Applying to the Graduate Program in Chemistry is also an application for a Graduate Teaching Assistantship. This is done on our simple online application system. Follow the instructions and upload supporting documents (Resume, Unofficial copies of transcripts and test scores) and submit names of three or more references for your application.

What is the application deadline for your program?

For International Students the application deadline is February 1st, for domestic students or students getting their degree within the U.S. there is no deadline for admissions. With that being said we encourage each student, International or Domestic to begin applying as early as possible. Each year the review process will start in November and continue until all positions are filled.

What test scores am I required to submit?

We require the General GRE test for all applicants. Those who wish to take the Chemistry subject test may do so but it is not a requirement, although it won’t hurt your application.

International students are also required to submit a score for the TOEFL iBT.

Each of these tests can be taken through Educational Testing Services.

Are there specific GPAs, GRE scores, and TOEFL scores you look for?

We do not look for specific grade point averages or test scores as they are just a pieces of the whole picture of an applicant. The Graduate School holds a requirement that U.S. Degree holders must have earned a 2.7 out of a possible 4.0 GPA or a minimum of 3.0 during the senior year of undergraduate study. Foreign degree holders must have earned a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or other equivalent to a ‘B’ average.

For international students, English speaking ability is judged from iBT. The Chemistry Department prefers you to have a minimum total of 98 with a sub-speak score of 22.

What are the benefits I receive as a graduate teaching assistant?

As a graduate teaching assistant your benefits are many. You will receive a tuition waiver which covers the cost of tuition for the credits you take each semester. In addition you will receive an annual stipend You will also receive health benefits provided to you through United Healthcare.

When and how are advisers chosen?

Advisers can be chosen prior to your arrival, however as a part of the selection process we ask that you speak with several faculty members to find the advisor that offers you the best opportunity to succeed in graduate school. The process of adviser selection begins in September of the first semester of graduate school and has usually concluded by late November of that first semester.

What is my expected course load?

Course loads vary depending on academic concentration within the graduate program and if there are deficiencies which call for courses to be taken. Typical course load for graduate students in 7-9 hours per semester for 3-4 semesters. There are no graduate level courses offered during the summers but you are required to be registered for Chemistry 500 or 600 (use of facilities) to maintain your graduate student status.

What is my expected teaching load?

Teaching loads also vary by course and schedule. Typically our graduate students are committed to 10-20 hours per week in teaching duties. This includes class time, lab time(s), grading, office hours, and tutorial center hours.