Board of Visitors Member
5/10 – 5/20
Vice President, University Partnerships, Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU). Directed and maintained strong partnerships with ORAU sponsor institutions, national laboratories including ORNL, and private industries. Developed a comprehensive engagement strategy to create and promote collaborative partnerships among member institutions and other universities. Represented ORAU in promoting partnership opportunities to federal agencies, private industry, foundations, universities, and other professional organizations. Led events to facilitate university engagement in collaborative research.
10/08 – 5/10
Program Director, National Science Foundation. Managed proposal process and grants within the EPSCoR program at NSF for a portfolio of states, as well as NSF Co-funding with disciplinary directorates. Represented NSF on outreach visits and at conferences.
4/07 – 5/10
Associate Vice President for Research, Office of the Executive Vice President
University of Tennessee. Designed and collected program metrics to support the UT Strategic Plan. Facilitated major projects, including Tennessee EPSCoR and the successful petascale computing proposal to NSF.
List is limited to most recent positions
March 1988 - B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
March 1981 - Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
August 1975 - B.A. Liberal Arts College Scholars, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
American Chemical Society, 1978-present
East Tennessee Section: Secretary 1988-90, Chair 1992
Local Arrangements Chair Southeast Regional Meeting (SERMACS) 1999
Member Divisions of Chemical Education and Analytical Chemistry
National Councilor 1996-2004, Alternate Councilor 2006-20
Women Chemist’s Committee, 1997-2007
President’s Task Force on Women’s Issues, 2001
President’s Task Force on National Meetings, 2012-13
Budget and Finance Committee, 2008-2017
Board of Trustees, Insurance Trust 2009-2017
Fellow, named in 2014, retain designation permanently
Senior Chemists Committee, Chair 2019-2020
BMGT Division, Chair 2018
American Association for the Advancement of Science, Affiliate representative 2010-2020
Association of University Technology Managers, 1998-2008
Coblentz Society; Board of Managers 1989-92, President 1997-98
Industrial Spectroscopy Symposium Organizer, 14th annual International Conference
on Raman Spectroscopy, 1994, Hong Kong
Co-Chair of SPIE Conference on Optical Methods for Process Control, 1994
Scientific Board, International Forum Process Analytical Chemistry 1993-2002
Co-chair of NSF-NIST Workshop on Measurements and Control, 1998
Co-Chair of Process Analytical Chemistry, 2nd Annual Green Chemistry and Engineering Conference, Washington, DC, 1998
ISA Analysis Division Symposium Scientific Board, April 1998
General Chair, Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Societies, 2000
Awards and Recognitions
Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Kappa Phi, Tau Beta Pi, Alpha Lambda Delta
Participant in NATO Advanced Study Institute on Analytical Applications of FTIR to Molecular and Biological Systems, Florence, Italy, September 1980
Meggers Award given by the Society for Applied Spectroscopy to the outstanding publication of the year in the professional journal Applied Spectroscopy, 1982
Chancellor's Citation for Extraordinary Community Service, 1993
UTK Professional Development Award for travel to the International Conference on Raman Spectroscopy, 1994
Community Hero Olympic Torchbearer, 1996
American Chemical Society Fellow, 2014
Fulton High School Wall of Fame, 2018
AAAS Fellow, 2020
- E. L. Wehry, G. Mamantov, R. R. Kemmerer, R. C. Stroupe, P. T. Tokousbalides, E. R. Hinton, D. M. Hembree, R. B. Dickinson, Jr., A. A. Garrison, and R. R. Gore, Analysis of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons by Matrix Isolation Fluorescence and Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometry, in "Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons" (P. W. Jones and R. I. Freudenthal, Ed.), Raven Press, New York, pp. 193-202 (1978).
- Arlene A. Garrison, R. A. Crocombe, Gleb Mamantov and James A. de Haseth, Practical Aspects of Rapid Scanning Fourier Transform Time-resolved Infrared Spectroscopy, Applied Spectroscopy, 34, pp. 399-404 (1980).
- A. A. Garrison, D. M. Hembree, Jr., R. A. Yokley, R. A. Crocombe, G. Mamantov, and E. L. Wehry, Use of Matrix Isolation Fourier Transform Infrared (FTIR) in Gas Chromatographic Detection, Proc. Soc. Photo-Instrum. Eng., 289, pp. 150-54 (1981).
- R. A. Crocombe, A. A. Garrison, G. Mamantov, Progress in Fourier Transform Time-resolved Spectroscopy, 1981 International Conference on Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy, Proc. Soc. Photo-Instrum. Eng., 289, pp. 36-39 (1981).
- D. M. Hembree, A. A. Garrison, R. A. Crocombe, R. A. Yokley, E. L. Wehry, and G. Mamantov, Matrix Isolation Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometric Detection in the Open Tubular Column Gas Chromatography of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Anal. Chem., 53, pp. 1783-88 (1981).
- G. Mamantov, A. A. Garrison, and E. L. Wehry, Analytical Applications of Matrix Isolation Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometry, Appl. Spectrosc., 36, pp. 339-47 (1982).
- A. A. Garrison, G. Mamantov, and E. L. Wehry, Analysis of Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds Containing Nitrogen and Oxygen by Matrix Isolation Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometry, Appl. Spectrosc., 36, pp. 348-52 (1982).
- R. A. Yokley, A. A. Garrison, G. Mamantov, and E. L. Wehry, The Effect of Nitrogen Dioxide on the Photochemical and Nonphotochemical Degradation of Pyrene and Benzo[a]pyrene Adsorbed on Coal Fly Ash, Chemosphere, 14, pp. 1771-78 (1985).
- R. A. Yokley, A. A. Garrison, E. L. Wehry, and G. Mamantov, Photochemical Transformation of Pyrene and Benzo[a]pyrene Vapor-Deposited on Eight Coal Stack Ashes, Environ. Sci. Technol., 20, pp. 86-90 (1986).
- E. L. Wehry, G. Mamantov, A. A. Garrison, R. A. Yokley, and R. J. Engelbach, Chemical Transformation of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons Vapor-Adsorbed on Coal Stack Ash, in "Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons: Chemistry, Characterization, and Carcinogenesis" (M. Cooke and A. J. Dennis, Ed.), Battelle Press, Columbus, OH, pp. 985-994 (1986).
- A. A. Garrison, R. A. Yokley, R. J. Engelbach, E. L. Wehry, and G. Mamantov, Chemical Reactivity of Polycyclic Aromatic Compound Adsorbed on Coal Stack Ash, in "Fossil Fuels Utilization: Environmental Concerns" (R. Markuszewski and B. D. Blaustein, Ed.) American Chemical Society (Symposium Series, Vol. 319), Washington, D. C., pp. 325-331 (1986).
- Robert J. Engelbach, Arlene A. Garrison, E. L. Wehry, Gleb Mamantov, Measurement of Vapor Deposition and Extraction Recovery of Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons Adsorbed on Particulate Solids, Analytical Chemistry, 59, pp. 2541-2543 (1987).
- A. A. Garrison, E. C. Muly, M. J. Roberts, D. S. Trimble, and C. F. Moore, Raman Spectroscopy for On-line Distillation Process Control, in "Advances in Instrumentation and Control" (Proceedings of the ISA/89 International Conference, Philadelphia, PA), Instrument Society of America, Research Triangle Park, NC, pp. 357- 363 (1989).
- A. A. Garrison, E. C. Muly, M. J. Roberts and C. F. Moore, On-Line Chemical Composition Analyzer Development - Final Report, July 1989, DOE/ID/12691-1, Available from NTIS, Springfield, VA.
- A. A. Garrison, D. S. Trimble, E. C. Muly, M. J. Roberts, and S. W. Kercel, On-line Chemical Analysis Applied to Distillation Control - A Status Report, American Laboratory, 22 (3), pp. 19-27 (1990).
- S. W. Kercel, M. J. Roberts, A. A. Garrison and D. S. Trimble, Development of a Fiber-Optic Based Instrument for On-line Raman Analysis of Process Chemical Composition, Sensors Expo West Proceedings, Long Beach, California, March 13-15, 1990, Helmers Publishing Company, Peterborough, NH, pp. 301C-1 - 301C-7.
- S. W. Kercel, M. J. Roberts, and A. A. Garrison, Recent Advances in the development of a fiber-optic based instrument for on-line Raman analysis, Proceedings of the SPIE 1990 International Symposium on Optical and Optoelectronic Applied Science and Engineering, July 8-13, 1990, San Diego, CA, SPIE Volume 1336, pp. 144- 151.
- M. J. Roberts, A. A. Garrison, S. W. Kercel, D. S. Trimble, C. F. Moore and E. C. Muly, Development and Application of a Raman Spectroscopy Based Instrument for Multi-Point Composition Analysis and Control of a Distillation Column, in "Advances in Instrumentation and Control" (Proceedings of the ISA/90 International Conference, New Orleans, LA), Instrument Society of America, Research Triangle Park, NC, pp. 463- 468 (1990).
- M. J. Roberts, A. A. Garrison, S. W. Kercel and E. C. Muly, Raman Spectroscopy for On-line, Real-time, Multi-point Industrial Chemical Analysis, Process Control and Quality, 1 (1991) 281-291.
- A. A. Garrison, On-line Analysis of Chemical Composition using an FT-Raman Spectrometer in the Near-IR, Proceedings of the SPIE 1992 Conference on Optically Based Methods for Process Analysis, March 23-26, Somerset New Jersey, SPIE Volume 1681, pp. 291-293.
- A. A. Garrison, C. F. Moore, M. J. Roberts and P. D. Hall, Distillation Process Control using FT-Raman Spectroscopy, Process Control and Quality, 3 (1992) 57-63.
- M. J. Roberts, A. A. Garrison, E. C. Muly and C.F. Moore, On-Line Chemical Composition Analyzer Development - Phase II Final Report, February 1992, DOE/ID/12691-2, Available from NTIS, Springfield, VA.
- M. Z. Martin, A. A. Garrison, M. J. Roberts, P. D. Hall, and C. F. Moore, Composition Monitoring by On-Line Remote Raman Spectroscopy, Process Control and Quality, 5 (1993) 187-192.
- A. A. Garrison and M. Z. Martin, Fourier transform Raman spectroscopy - application to process control, Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Fourier Transform Spectroscopy, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, SPIE Volume 2089, pp. 210-211.
- A. A. Garrison and M. Z. Martin, Acid Sensing by Remote Raman Spectroscopy, AT-PROCESS...the Journal of Process Analytical Chemistry, 1994, 95-98.
- M. Z. Martin and A. A. Garrison, Optical pH Sensor - A Tool for On-line Process Control, AT-PROCESS...the Journal of Process Analytical Chemistry, 1994, 127-131.
- A. A. Garrison and M. Z. Martin, Fourier Transform Raman Spectroscopy for Process Analysis, Proceedings of the Fourteenth International Conference on Raman Spectroscopy, Hong Kong, August, 1994, N.-T. Yu and X.-Y. Li, editors, 804-805.
- David Hunkeler, Henry McGee, Ellen Huang, Lori Kincaid, Walter Olson, David V. Kerns, William E. Souder, Gary Lynn, Arlene Garrison, Neale Merriam, Nancy Fair and Chiveyre Onwubiko, University Perspectives in Environmentally Conscious Manufacturing, International Journal of Environmentally Conscious Design & Manufacturing, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1997, 37-44.
- Arlene A. Garrison, The Future Role of Universities in Measurement and Control, Proceedings of ISATech/97 Anaheim, CA, Instrument Society of America, Research Triangle Park, NC.
- Arlene A. Garrison and Charles F. Moore, The Application of Sensors and Control to Pulp and Paper Processes, TAPPI, Atlanta, GA, 1999.
- H.L. Hall, J.N. Sumner, A. Icenhour, J. Stainback, C. Clark, C. Robinson, E. Abelquist, and A. Garrison. The University of Tennessee Institute for Nuclear Security, in Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Institute for Nuclear Materials Management. 2012. Orlando, Florida: Institute for Nuclear Materials Management.
- Howard L. Hall, James N. Sumner, Alan Icenhour, Chris Clark, Joseph Stainback IV, Chris Robinson, Eric Abelquist, Arlene Garrison, and Cathy Fore, Educating and Training the Next Generation of Nuclear Security Experts, Transactions Civil Society, Manchester, United Kingdom, 9-12 December 2012, Brussels, Belgium, European Nuclear Society, 2012.
Wesley Foundation Board 1990-1994, Secretary, 1992-1993
Board, Southern Appalachian Science and Engineering Fair, 1993-2020
WATTec Board of Directors, 1994-1996
Knoxville Discovery Center Board, 1995-1996
Knoxville and Knox County Public Building Authority, 1995-2008, Chair 2000-2002
Board of Trustees, Fountain City United Methodist Church 1991-1994, Chair, 1993-1994
Fountain City United Methodist Church choir, 1975-2019, Vice President 2006-2008
Holston Conference Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministries, 1996-2004
Holston Conference Committee on the Episcopacy, 2000-2008, Secretary 2000
Knoxville Association of Women Executives, 1997-2017, VP Membership, 1998
Executive Women’s Association, 2016-2019
Tennessee Economic Council on Women, 2002-2008
Boy Scouts of American National Jamboree, Chemistry Merit Badge, 2010, 2013, 2017
Tau Beta Pi Alumnus Board, 2011-2020
Tech 20/20 Board, 2012
Anderson County Chamber Board, 2014-2018
Emory Valley Center Board 2019-2022
Council for Chemical Research, Governing Board, 2000-2002
National Research Council, Board of Assessment for NIST, Panel for Chemical Science and Technology, 1996-2001, Vice Chair 1997-1999, Chair 2000-2001
UTK Chemistry Department Board of Visitors, 1994-2019
UTK Chancellor’s Commission for Women, 1993-1997
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Chemistry Department Advisory Board, 1999-2006
National Science Foundation, SBIR/STTR AdCom, 2011-2019
George Washington University Research Advisory Board, 2012-2018
Purdue University - Discovery Park Advisory Council, 2012-2015
Georgia Regents University Research Advisory Board, 2013-2015
National Academy of Inventors, Board of Directors, 2014-2017
ORAU representative to AAAS Sections on Chemistry, Societal Impacts of Science and Engineering, and General Interest in Science and Engineering, 2011-2020