Plan Your Travel
Our department will book your hotel accommodations at the Cumberland House Knoxville. We will make hotel reservations for Friday and Saturday night once you register with us. This hotel is only a block away from our department and easily walk-able. Please email Kayla Benson if you need special accommodations and more accessible options.
Guests who are within driving distance of UT will be reimbursed for their transportation costs at a rate of $0.47 per mile. Driving directions and maps
If you are not able to drive to UT, the Department of Chemistry will reimburse you for your travel expenses, but you are responsible for booking your arrangements.
Each guest should submit:
- A complete “UT Travel Reimbursement Information Request” Form. The information will be entered into Chemistry Department online system and a personnel number will be requested for each guest (this process usually takes about 1 week). We can forward this to you through e-mail.
- If you are flying, please upload your E-ticket receipt while filling out UT Travel Reimbursement Information Request Form. Or you can email the E-ticket receipt to our travel admin Terri Galyon. The E-ticket receipt must show the flight itinerary, total price, method of payment, and class of service (must be coach/economy).
- A list of all expenses and original receipts for all expenses over $10. Download expense list form here.
- Before first event, you will be asked to sign on T-6 form.
- Guests can expect a check in the mail to the address they provide in the UT Travel Reimbursement Information Request Form within about 3-4 weeks once their trip has concluded, they have turned in all the required information, and our travel manager has submitted their request for reimbursement to the Treasurer’s Office.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I responsible for booking my own flight, rental car, etc?
Yes, you will need to book your own travel arrangements and submit a UT Travel Reimbursement Information Request Form.
What if my flight costs over $500?
Please email Kayla Benson
Do I need a parking pass?
If you are driving, please pull into one of the guest check-in spaces in front of the hotel lobby when you arrive. You may request a parking permit from the front desk as you check-in. You will be directed to park in the garage located underneath the hotel lobby. There is also hotel valet option.
I am from the area and do not need to stay in the hotel, do I need a separate parking pass?
Yes, please email Kayla Benson and request a parking permit for the 11th Street Garage.
I am flying into Tyson Mcghee airport. How will I get to the UT campus and hotel?
You will either be chauffeured from and to the airport by a graduate student host or you may request an Uber or Lyft. You can be reimbursed for your Uber or Lyft ride by emailing your receipt to Terri Galyon.