My research group is interested in the behavior of materials under extreme conditions. We are well known for our spectroscopic work in high magnetic fields and pressures, under unusual chemical and photochemical activation, and at very small sizes where quantum confinement becomes apparent. Representative publications that illustrate the breadth and depth of our science program are given below.
Ph.D., University of Florida (1992)
B.S., University of Illinois (1987)
Awards and Recognitions
2020 NSF Creativity Award
2017 Fellow, American Physical Society
2010-2015, 2015-2020 Ziegler Professorship
2010 Chancellor's Award for Research and Creative Achievement
2001 NSF Creativity Award
1996 NSF CAREER Award
- "Magnetic field-temperature phase diagram in multiferroic (NH4)2FeCl5.H2O", A. J. Clune, J. Nam, M. Lee, J. D. Hughey, W. Tian, J. Fernandez-Baca, R. S. Fishman, J. Singleton, J. -H. Lee, and J. L. Musfeldt, Nature Quant. Mater. 4, 44 (2019).
- "Spin-lattice and electron-phonon coupling in a 3d/5d hybrid Sr3NiIrO6", K. R. O'Neal, A. Paul, A. al-Wahish, K. D. Hughey, A. L. Blockman, X. Luo, S. -W. Cheong, V. Zapf, C. V. Topping, J. Singleton, M. Ozerov, T. Birol, and J. L. Musfeldt, Nature Quant. Mater. 4, 48 (2019). NHMFL Science Highlight.
- "Near-field infrared spectroscopy of single layer MnPS3", S. N. Neal, H. -S. Kim, K. A. Smith, A. V. Haglund, D. G. Mandrus, H. A. Bechtel, G. L. Carr, K. Haule, D. Vanderbilt, and J L. Musfeldt, Phys. Rev. B 100, 075428 (2019).
- "Infrared nano-spectroscopy of ferroelastic domain walls in hybrid improper ferroelectric Ca3Ti2O7", K. A. Smith, E. A. Nowadnick, S. Fan, O. Khatib, S. L. Lim, N. C. Harms, S. Neal, J. K. Kirkland, M. C. Martin, C. J. Won, M. B. Raschke, S. -W. Cheong, C. J. Fennie, G. L. Carr, H. A. Bechtel, and J. L. Musfeldt, Nature Comm. 10, 5235 (2019).
- "Spin-lattice coupling across the magnetic quantum phase transition in Cu-containing coordination polymers", K. D. Hughey, N. C. Harms, K. R. O'Neal, A. J. Clune, J. C. Monroe, A. L. Blockmon, C. P. Landee, Z. Liu, M. Ozerov, and J. L. Musfeldt, Inorg. Chem. 59, 2127 (2020).
- "Nonreciprocal directional dichroism of a chiral magnet in the visible range", M. O. Yokosuk, Heung-Sik Kim, K. D. Hughey, J. Kim, A. V. Stier, K. R. O'Neal, J. Yang, S. A. Crooker, K. Haule, S. -W. Cheong, D. Vanderbilt, and J. L. Musfeldt, npj Quant. Mater. 5, 20 (2020).
Lab Address: 225 SERF