Association of Chemistry Graduate Students (ACGS) held a bake sale on January 17 and 18 in the chemistry tutorial center to help Ownby family, whose house was burned down two weeks ago. Marilyn Ownby works for the Chemistry Department in the general chemistry lab.
An email calling for participation was sent two weeks prior to the bake sale. Over thirty people volunteered to bake. Baked goods ranged from freshly baked loaves of bread to brownies to cheesecakes.
More than a hundred faculty, students and staff showed up during the two days of sale and contributed over a thousand dollars in total.
“The idea was to provide a more accessible way for graduates and undergraduates to help.” Sam Rosolina, Community Service Chair of ACGS said. “With a limited disposable income it’s hard for us to see our few dollars going far for causes like this, but this sale was proof that a little can go a long way when so many people are involved.”
Rosolina was also surprised to see how many undergraduate students came to show support once they found out what the cause was.
Almost everyone in the Department participated and helped to organize the event. “I want to especially thank Pam Roach and Christiane Barnes who performed large roles in making the event happen.” said Rosolina.
Fundraising is still going on for Ownby family. If you would like to make a donation, please following the link created by their daughter http://www.giveforward.com/reliefforfirevictims.