Chemistry graduate students participated in the Knoxville Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on October 18th in the World’s Fair Park. The team of 7 finished the 5k run and raised over a thousand dollars.
The Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure® Series is the largest series of 5k run/fitness walks in the world. Komen Knoxville has raised millions of dolllars. 75% of revenue from this race stays in east Tennessee for breast cancer treatment and support, the other 25% funds research nationally. *
Students participated in this year’s race include Laura Casto, Maggie Lookadoo, Amanda Clune, Alex Fisch, Adam Carr, Michael Merrill and Sam Mattern-Schain. The team was formed “in honor of family and friends afflicted by breast cancer,” Mattern-Schain said. “I love Race For The Cure and believe it does a tremendous amount of good for our community. It’s a wonderful awareness event and brings a lot of joy to the community of breast cancer survivors/victims and their families. ”
*Information from KomenKnoxville website and e-newsletter.